Dual Credit Opportunities
What is Dual Credit?
Dual Credit Explained
Cowichan Valley School District offers many dual credit opportunities for motivated secondary school students to complete trades, career, and university level courses while attending high school and tuition free.
In partnership with Vancouver Island University and Camosun College, students can participate in various trades training programs as well as academic courses that are transferrable to other BC post-secondary institutions.
Students will receive credits towards their high school graduation requirements as well as Level 1 or Certificate program credit upon completion of the program. To be eligible for dual credit, students must be:
Undertaking a post-secondary option that aligns with their career path
Enrolled in grade 11 or grade 12
What are my options?
Trade and Certificate Programs
In partnership with Camosun College and Vancouver Island University, the Dual Credit program gives students the opportunity to take academic courses while they are in high school. Dual credit courses may only be taken if they align with your career path. Applications must be submitted by the end of June for the following school year.
The Cowichan Trades Centre is a host to various trades programs for Carpentry, Hairdressing, Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Mechanic and Welding. All programs are offered through Vancouver Island University. Cowichan School District students have the opportunity to stay local to participate in these exciting programs. At the VIU Cowichan Campus, certificate programs such as Office Administration, Health Care Assistance and Culinary are offered. Depending on space availability, the same programs may be offered at VIU Nanaimo Campus as well.
Spots have been available to students in the past for the following programs:
- Fine Furniture & Joinery
- Heavy Mechanical
- Plumbing & Pipe Fitting
- Refrigeration & Airconditioning (RACM)
- Roadbuilder & Heavy Construction Equipment
- Sheet Metal
- TASK Program (Trades Skills Foundations)
- Legal Office Assistant Certificate
- Medical Office Assistant Certificate
- Office Administration Certificate
- Business Administration Certificate
- Health Care Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Education Assistant Community Support
- Early Childhood Education and Care
How do I apply?
- If you are a high school student, contact you Career Facilitator at your high school for more details and dual credit application package
- Space and seats are limited, applications must be submitted by the end of June for the following school year (beginning in September), get your applications in early
NOTE: All programs and course availability are subject to enrolment. Some conditions apply to academic courses. Course start dates may change. Register today to secure a seat!